We are not opposed to ride hailing service if it is brought on equal footing and following issues will be discussed about this.
- ICBC Insurance: Government is getting ICBC to provide insurance to ride hailing at a fraction of the real cost, so all BC Motorists will subsidize
- Ride Hailing will not provide wheelchair service to British Columbians so customers will Suffer.
- There will be no security cameras in Ride-Hailing Vehicles hence security of riders will be at risk.
- Taxis will pay 100 times the license fee to the Government, so All British Columbians will subsidize again.
- Training Program, Taxi Host has been Dumped, so there will be no trained drivers, especially to service wheelchair customers.
- It has been proven from evidence around the world that ride hailing drivers do not make more than $9 an hour and they bring Taxi earnings to the same level.
- These services add more Vehicles to the streets so more traffic and pollution.
- How the Government is going to implement the National Safety Code to ride hailing Vehicles is not clear yet.
- Up until last month age of Taxi was 6 years, this was done to ensure reliability of service but now Govt. Dropped it to 10 years to accommodate ride hailing.
- Number of Taxis were always limited, so drivers could earn decent wages but for ride hailing no limit.
- Ride hailing could charge as much as they want which is not fair for customers and Taxi Rates are set.
- Taxi Owners paid $100,000s for their license, which is diminished to nothing.
- Seat belt exemption is removed for Taxi Drivers which is dangerous instead of safe.
- Chauffeur Permit has been taken out of Police hands and now ride hailing and Taxi Companies could issue the permits themselves and this has been done to accommodate ride hailing.
- The Only Thing Not Compromised so far is the Class 4 Professional Driver’s License that Taxi Drivers drive under.